Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Who Wouldn't Vote For Al Franken?

I first heard about Al Franken when I read his book Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations. I read the book way before I started paying attention to politics, so I'm not sure how or why I picked up this book. I was probably in an airport on some corporate jaunt, and needed a book to read. I had heard Limbaugh a couple of times because my family just loved (and probably still do love) him. My sister once had a conniption fit because her VCR failed to record Rush's show. I was fascinated by her reaction, but remained silent, as usual.

I remember reading the book in front of the rough rock fireplace in my "hovel" (my brother's term for my rented desert shack) in Cave Creek, Arizona in the late 90s. I was alone in that hovel, with pack rats scurrying around in the ceiling above me, chewing the wires to bits, as I surreptitiously giggled about Rush being a cheetos-eating couch-potato welfare recipient. Delicious!

The part of the book I remember best was in the introduction, where Al got the go-ahead from the publisher for the book and then realized that in order to write it, he actually had to listen to Limbaugh. Horrors! So, he pawned off the listening to an intern. I completely understand. I always criticized my parents for only reading right-wing books, but here I am, only reading left-wing blogs. It's because I can't stomach the loony right. There are some sane voices, but not many.

Anyway, my question is, who wouldn't vote for Al Franken after seeing his amazing rendition of Mick Jagger? Hat tip for this video to my friend, and new Skype buddy, Arthur.

Enjoy! (If you are reading this post from an email, please click through to my blog to view the video.)

blog comments powered by Disqus