Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mukasey: Not Every Violation Of The Law Is A Crime

Well now. The next time I violate a law, I will use the defense given to me by the United States Attorney General.

From MSNBC:

Mukasey used his sharpest words yet to criticize the senior leaders who took part in or failed to stop illegal hiring practices during the tenure of his predecessor, Alberto Gonzales. But, he told delegates to the American Bar Association annual meeting, "not every wrong, or even every violation of the law, is a crime. In this instance, the two joint reports found only violations of the civil service laws."

I guess I can cheat on my taxes now. And when the IRS arrests me, I can say, "But, but, Mukasey said that not every violation of a law is a crime. I don't think this was a crime. I bet he wouldn't either. It was just like, well, an inconvenience to follow the law. I had important things to do, power and money I wanted to maintain, just like BushCo and his cronies wanted control over the courts, and well, the laws of the land. Just like them, I used an eentsy beentsy work-around of the law. It wasn't like I was unaware or ignorant of the law. No. It was a flagrant ignoring, complete disrespect and arrogant not-give-a-fuckness for the law. But a crime? nah."

Oh, and I also liked the part of the quote, "...only found violations of the civil service laws." Yeah, those silly little laws. They're stupid anyway. Who made them into laws in the first place? Those lefty commies that insist that people need some sort of protection from discrimination in the workplace. Those people suck. So do all those losers that whine about being discriminated against. All those kinds of laws - completely ignorable.

Oh, and by the way, he said this in a speech to a room full of lawyers. At the American Bar Association annual meeting. Talk about setting the tone.

blog comments powered by Disqus