Pages

Friday, July 18, 2008

A Nigger In The Living Room

I just spoke to someone who is visiting my parents and the rest of my family in Arizona right now. She hadn't seen them in many years. On the first visit, she sat in my parents' living room and listened to everyone in the room talk about Barack Obama. They were saying, "We don't need a nigger as president!"

Holy shit. You know, I'm not quite sure why I'm surprised. My mother stood behind me when I was watching TV and they announced that Martin Luther King was dead and she said, "Good riddance, you communist bastard!" My family decided to call Jews by tree names (Oh, will you listen to that mighty oak over there! or Oh, will you look at the elm tree over there in the red hat.), so they can talk badly about them in public. I left Arizona, and America basically, to get away from this kind of bullshit. But in my silly little mind, I thought that people who think these kinds of thoughts and say these kinds of words, are just ignorant, low-class hillbillies.

I guess my college-educated, wealthy family members are, uh, ignorant, low-class hillbillies.

The person who is visiting my family right now told me that she sat there and didn't say a word, didn't show anything on her face. She thought, "Should I tell them that I have a black boyfriend?" Nah. Prolly not.

I have been going to family get-togethers all my life and sitting there listening to the same horrible shit, saying nothing. Before That Guy and I moved to Paris (my mother tells the rest of the family, "Lisa's living in Paris with all the rest of those loonies."), we went to one of these joyful parties. It was during the 2004 presidential campaign. One of my nieces was saying, "Yeah, and the terrorists want Kerry to win!" From the mouths of babes, parroting their "betters" (or Faux News) without a shred of independent research or thinking. Not a shred. That Guy finally came over to me and said, "I have got to get out of here. I can't take this anymore."

So, I took my Dad aside and said something like, "We're going to take off now. It's a little tough being the only Democrats in a room full of Republicans." I think that was probably the nicest thing I could possibly have said. I guess I could have lied too. I could have said, "I'm not feeling well. I think we're going to take off." They would have talked and snickered about us after we left, no matter what I said. Or I could have said, "Excuse me, I have an announcement to make. You are all acting like ignorant hillbillies." But nah. I told the closest thing to the truth that I could muster.

Evidently, after we left, there was a lot of screaming and yelling that went down at my parents' house. Everybody decided to HATE That Guy. That communist bastard. How dare he insult us! blah de blah de fucking blah. He hadn't said a WORD. But evidently, they could READ HIS MIND!

My mother has a large oil painting of a famous black New Orleans clarinet player hanging in a prominent place in her living room (just above the television, which is constantly turned on to Faux News). I guess it's ok to have a nigger in your living room. Just not in the White House.

Sad thing is, my mother hates John McCain with a passion. She's hated him since the first moment he stepped into Arizona. "God damned carpetbagger! Flouncing into Arizona with his entourage! I hate people with entourages!"

I suppose she won't vote at all. But trust me, I'm not going to ask. I just don't want to know. I have my eyes closed right now, my fingers in my ears, and I'm singing, "lalalalalalalahhhhh."

4 comments:

Hungry Mother said...

It's so tough having political and social differences with family members. I tend to choose keeping the peace over stating my principles.

Tony said...

Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. I have experienced something very similar at family gatherings twice in the last few months. It was very uncomfortable and opened my eyes that not everyone is nearly as enlightened as I am.

Richard said...

I just finished a very short stint with a faith-based company run by righties. It was tough to listen to some of the stuff said by these alleged christians.

The experience was not very rewarding financially or spirtually. It included being subjected to broadcasts of Rush Limbaugh while riding with my boss.

They sang the virtues of Bush and looked forward to invading Iran. All in the name of God and country no doubt.

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Rich

Political Peon said...

Just the logo/headline is cracking me up big time! I'm turning 50 this year. Keep up the good work. Honesty is so refreshing these days! PD of politicalpeon.com