Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Whore, Four Years

This is a large ad that I saw here in Paris, in front of a news agent's stall, for a French magazine called Marianne. The three bullet points say (I THINK):

  • Why hasn't he gotten there yet?
  • Already a war of succession
  • Exclusive survey: This isn't going to end well
I wish I knew more about local politics so that I could fill you in. I know that Sarkozy promised to change things for the French people, but the French people aren't thrilled with his lack of progress, and they are protesting at every turn. We just had a three-day rail strike, the teachers have been striking, and so have the fishermen and dock workers.

I like that the French people feel they have the power to change things by hitting the streets in protest. I wish more Americans would feel the same way.

The other day I was talking to a friend who used to be a Republican politician and he said, "Why do they always protest? Why don't they just enact legislation? That's what we do here in the US."

Do we really?

0 comments: