Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Me n' Rev. Wright Havin' It Out: Round 1

I've been ignoring this recent controversy about Obama's pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, as I figured it was probably a bunch of crap, prodded into the spotlight by McCain's or Clinton's campaign (or both, as it turns out), and then hyped by the slavering fucking useless corporate press.

I want to take a little break in today's message to point out that in between bringing to the glaring light of day the failings of Obama's CHRISTIAN PASTOR, the wingnuttians and Clintonians discuss, ad nauseum, and send out spam emails, and hire telemarketers to make sure the slavering fucking useless American people keep Top-O-Mind Awareness (an expression I learned in much-despised-by-me Corporate America) that OBAMA IS A MUSLIM. This is why I ignored the pastor flap. Because I don't give a SHIT if Obama is a fucking Christian or a fucking Muslim. OK? Will anyone, at any time, have the BALLS to run for president as an atheist or as a None-Of-Your-Fucking-Business-ist?

Could somebody just decide what religion to use as a baseball bat against Obama once and for all? But I digress.

So. The flap is exactly that, crap. But, it keeps popping up into my feedreader, so I threw down my hands in exasperation this morning, and went off to find out exactly what Rev. Wright said. It was a little hard to uncover his words, underneath all the folderol.

I watched (and you can too) the entire video posted by Faux News. This isn't the ONLY transgression Reverend Wright made, but it's the first one I found.

First of all, you will have to take note of Rev. Wright's "uppityness." I mean, how dare he be so confident, so declarative, so sure of himself? I had no idea these black folks had these big-ass churches with balconies and shit. And that black preachers had shiny, embroidered robes and stood on big stages, like they had something they wanted to say. Somebody needs to put that guy in his place, dontcha know.

Here are some things Wright said that some people's kids might not like, and I am going to take it one phrase at a time because this is my blog and I can do whatever I want:

"...who cares about what a poor black man has to face every day in a country and a culture controlled by rich white people..."

I am assuming, based on what Wright says after this statement, about the fact that he is still in Jesus's country, he is still in the text of the bible (and he points down to the book on the podium), that Wright is referring to Jesus and Jesus's country at the time that Jesus was alive. But, if you were to take this out of context and assume that he's making this statement about contemporary America, then I would agree with the premise of his statement. Most Americans don't care about, or it might be more accurate to say, are not aware of, what a poor black man has to face day to day in this country. And, if you look at census details and demographic statistics on active political figures and corporate management in modern-day America, I would love for you to try and tell me that America ISN'T run by white men. Just fucking try.

Now...in a couple of years, there will be more Hispanic Americans in the total population than white folks, which delights me, frankly. I can't wait. But it'll be a while before they inch their way into public office and start running corporations...especially if all those white men in charge have anything to do with it.

"Jesus was a poor black man that lived in a country and lived in a culture that was controlled by rich white people..."
"...the Romans were rich, the Romans were Italians, which means they were European, which means they were white, and the Romans ran everything..."

This is where me and organized religion had the parting of the ways. No blood ran. I just walked away. All this discussion about Jesus' origin. Was he a Jew? Oh, heyall no! That would blow Hitler right out of the water. Even if Mary was a Jewess, Jesus was conceived and born immaculately, so his sacred body never touched the nastiness of a Jewish pussy, dontcha know. Therefore, he could never be a Jew, for Yahweh's sake!

And then there was that Time magazine cover in 1996 showing Jesus as a dark-skinned man, versus the blond, blue-eyed Aryan white boy that contemporary Kreeshtians like to think about and pray to.

And I am too fucking lazy, and frankly don't care, but wouldn't be at all surprised, if the country in which Jesus was born, lived in, and died, was controlled by white men...swarthy, Italian, white men....with five o'clock shadow...and wife beater t-shirts...suspenders. Oh, I'm sorry, I just got carried away. Stereotypes can be such fun.

So, if I disagree with Wright, it's not because I'm so offended that he might be casting aspersions on the sacred cow called Jesus, and calling Jesus cullered. Or pointing his finger at those darn Eyetalians. No. Wright is just making shit up to back up his version, number 3,948.5, of the bible, you know, that absolutely, irrefutable, factual book, written mostly by, uh, white (??) men.

"...why so many folk are hatin' ol' Barack Obama. He doesn't fit the model. He ain't white, he ain't rich, he ain't privileged..."

Wright is, er, right about the fact that Barack doesn't fit the model. But I don't think it's because he's not white or rich or privileged. I would say that Obama is richer than me, and more privileged than me, at this time of my life. But I don't mind. He made his own way, and I made mine. I want different things than he does, and vice versa. Personally, his mixed race is interesting to me, as is his origin and upbringing. It makes for a good story.

But none of this is really the core issue. People like Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, and other neocon tools, hate Obama because he's empowering the American people. He's speaking directly to the trouble in our hearts and souls, and if he's actually sincere, he's talking about giving the country back to us, so that we can be involved, and take responsibility, and open up the government to the light of day. Imagine him standing up there on that big stage, with all those balconies full of people, wearing shiny suits, saying all those dangerous things, stirring us all up. How, well, uppity of him.

THAT's what pisses the neocons off. They see the American people as ignorant tools, that they can manipulate with easily-swallowed lies. They can threaten us, make us scared, make us pliant. And this Obama guy is waking us up, stirring us all into consciousness. Somebody needs to put that boy in his place, dontcha know. In fact, he needs to be stopped, at all costs. There's way too much pork at stake. And them Muslims like Obama, don't eat pork.

You see, all the race, gender and ageism issues that keep being offered as real issues, are just a smokescreen. Reverend Wright is playing right into it, by playing it up. He's just adding to the distraction that the neocons want to create. The more we argue amongst ourselves about stupid bullshit like whether or not Obama is a Muslim, or if he's a Christian, if he's a BAD kind of Christian, or if Hillary is a woman or a man, or if McCain is too old, or if Jesus is a Jew, or he's black or white, or whether or not he was poor or rich, or whether he was killed by the Jews or controlled by big bad whitey, IS NOT THE FUCKING POINT. If an Italian-German-Asian mixed, blind, 3-time governor, 2-time state legislator and 1-term senator, Rastafarian dwarf had a better voting record and better ideas for solving today's national and world problems, then I'd vote for HER.

I would like to jump up and scream right now. But I'm drowned out by the wanking, ignorant, high-schoolish press obsession with trivial bullshit. With the control-the-masses Rovian neocon press machine. It's the issues, stupid. It's the war, stupid. It's people dying, stupid. Fuck me. This is so frustrating!

OK, on with Reverend Wright's wrongs.

"Hillary fits the mold. Europeans fit the mold. Giuliani fits the mold."

Sorry, Rev. But Hillary, being a woman, doesn't fit the mold. It's the good ol' white boy's club that's running things. You just said that a few sentences back, remember?

"Hillary never had a cab whiz by her and not pick her up because her skin was the wrong color. Hillary never had to worry about being pulled over as a black man driving in a car in the wrong nei (I assume he was about to say neighborhood)"

This, I suggest, is the truth.

"I am sick of nigros who just don't get it. Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single parent home. Barack was. Barack knows what it's like to be a black man in a country and culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary can never know that. Hillary has never been called a nigger."

This, I suggest, is also the truth.

"Hillary has never had her people defined as non-person."

Reverend Wright is suffering, when he says this, from having a penis. Hillary's people - white, American women - couldn't vote a while back, remember? That qualifies us as former non-people. Some of us still feel like non-people. That is, until we started blogging.

"Hillary ain't had to work twice as hard just to get accepted by the rich white folk who run everything, or to get a passing grade, when you know you are smarter than that C-student sittin' in the white house."

Buhahahahaha! Although I love the reference to the "C-student sittin' in the white house" (you go, Rev.), I still beg to differ. Me and Hillary and all the rest of us women that are way smarter than most men, including you, Reverend Wright, have been working twice as hard for half the wages, and little to no credit, since the beginning of time.

"Oh! I am so glad that I have a God who knows what it is to be a poor black man in a country and culture that is controlled by and run by rich white people. He taught me, Jesus did, how to love my enemies."

Well Reverend, you just keep feeling that way, about your mythical God. If it works better for you for him to be poor and black, that's fine with me. And, I imagine, the wingnuts are making this out to be some call to the black hoards to rise up and declare whitey the enemy. To start stashing their blunderbusses in the hay stacks and at Reverend Wright's secret signal, to run barefoot through the fields to raid the plantation house and steal our babies and eat 'em.

I hate to tell the wingnuts this, but the white man has been, and some continue to be, the enemy to the poor and disenfranchised, to people of color, and anybody else that's a little different than them. We Have Met The Enemy and He Is Us.

But if there's anything I believe about the mythical Jesus, it's that his message was about LOVE. I'm just glad that Rev. Wright still loves us. And that he's telling his flock to love us too. Maybe we could all live up to that love.

Meanwhile, let's all rise above this smoke screen, shall we? Let us rise above. Let's focus on what counts. And let's hope upon hope, that Obama means what he says.

I have entitled this post "Round 1" because Reverend Wright has been saying even more stuff. I know, he must think he's a preacher or something. Anyway, I'd like to address everything he's said, at some point in the future. So, look for Round 2, as soon as I recover from Round 1.

6 comments:

Rich said...

Funny and right on.

Rich

karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karen said...

"...as a None-Of-Your-Fucking-Business-ist?" Hahahaha! I can't even imagine.

Well, you nailed it on this one - again.

I'll bet neither the Rev nor Obama have been called a "bitch" or a "faggot" lately. I guess we all have our cross to bear. Except, of course, white men.

I can't even watch the "news" any more. Wake me up when it's over.

sctshep said...

Don't beat around the bush (no pun intended) It's always hard to get a read on where you're coming from. Right on as always. I agree with Karen I can't even watch the "news" anymore. What a fucked up world. Let's not talk about a financial market going down the tube (let's hear it for deregulation) or all the other issues. Let's look at Rev.Wright or even Geraldine. They aren't the point!!! Keep it up

Mauigirl said...

Well said. I certainly disagree with a number of things Wright said, as did you, but I agree the image we're getting through the shortened clips of his YouTube sermons do not have the full context and are being used as Willie Horton tactics by the right (and probably Hillary). Your post is a good balanced analysis, and I'm looking forward to Round 2. I also hope Obama truly means the things he says because I'm banking on it. I can't imagine this country with another Republican and to be honest, Hillary scares me too. I wanted to like her but she is pulling out all the stops now and I don't like what I'm seeing.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you put on your blog the numbers you're referencing in regards to the country being run by white men? How do they compare to the national numbers of caucasians versus blacks? (hint: blacks comprise 12.1% of the population)

What is your source on the Hispanics outnumbering whites in just a couple of years? Based on trends, this is poised to happen eventually but NOT in a couple years.