Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Feminists For Peace And Barack Obama

I found this petition online, signed by prominent (and not so prominent - like me) feminists, who are choosing to vote for Obama instead of Hillary. I could not have articulated my thoughts and feelings better than the words in this petition. I urge other women to sign it as well, if it resonates with you as much as it did with me.

Here's just a small taste:

In the coming elections, it is important to remember that war and peace are as much "women's issues" as are health, the environment, and the achievement of educational and occupational equality. Because we believe that all of these concerns are not only fundamental but closely intertwined, we will be casting our vote for Senator Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee for President of the United States.

Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, we have watched with shock and sorrow as our country has become mired in war. The resulting tragedy for our own soldiers, their immediate families and for the people of Iraq has been incalculable.

Less obvious, but no less grave has been the impact on our domestic institutions and economy. With a defense budget of half a trillion dollars and expenditures now averaging $12 billion a month for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, resources that might have been used for health care, housing, education, repair of infrastructure, relief of poverty and community development have been drained away.

1 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Thanks for posting this, I signed the petition. I feel that only Obama can take this country in a new and better direction. I feel bad in a way for not supporting Hillary as the first woman nominee for president but I don't think she is offering anything new and would be polarizing and divisive.