Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Please Say No To Pollsters

I started to say "Pollsters never call me." But, then I realized that they have called me. One time after the November 2006 election, some guy supposedly from the McCain campaign called me. I let him have it. I told him I used to like McCain, that he used to be a statesman. But then he backed down on torture and lost me forever.

But the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary have shown us the damage that polling can do. It can impact people's vote before they enter the election booth: "Oh, she's losing anyway, I might as well vote for the other guy." Most of all, polls help our already useless traditional press become completely and utterly useless. And not just the US press. Three British newspapers were PRINTED with Obama on the front page, declared the winner in New Hampshire. "Dewey Defeats Truman!" all over again.

Polling HAS TO STOP. And the only way it can stop is if we say no when they call us. Please waddle and limp over to Huffington Post and sign the pledge, vowing to hang up on pollsters.

Read Arianna Huffington's full article on polling here.

3 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Good idea. Not that they call me anyway (unlisted phone number). But it's out of control. And then when the polls don't match the results people get all paranoid and think the vote was fixed. Of course, that may still be true.

Hungry Mother said...

I always refuse to be polled. Lying might be more effective, however. If you won't take part in the poll, they'll replace you, but a good lie can screw up their results. If a few more polling disasters like New Hampshire happen, maybe people will dismiss polls completely.

OMYWORD! said...

Maui - I've been reading that the Republicans are blatantly continuing to try to fix the elections, with unverifiable non-paper voting, and voter caging, and exclusionary voter ID laws. So, yes, it may still be true.

Hungry - I had this secret little pleasure when I read that it was possible that voters in New Hampshire purposely mislead pollsters. It made me think that maybe there's a grassroots movement of us regular folk, thumbing our collective noses at pollsters, pundits and traditional media. An interesting discussion that I'd love to have: If we do lie, how do we do it? Do we say we are voting for another someone else in our party, or for someone in the other party? Interesting to consider the ramifications.