Pages

Friday, December 28, 2007

Despotism Defined (1946)

In a comment by someone named Blue Buddha, at the bottom of a Sadly No article, I found this amazing video. (Sorry for the link - there was no embed code.) This video is sooooo worth watching. Please take the time to do so. You will be amazed, and hopefully angered enough to do something, at how it applies to the United States today.

Here are some of the comments about the article and the film. The first is from the anonymous commenter "commie atheist:"

"The people saying the pledge of allegiance in that film didn’t use the words 'under
god.' Damn commie bastards"

And how about this brilliant one by an anonymous commenter named "c":

"First they came round with the canapés, and I didn’t protest, because I wasn’t a canapé."

2 comments:

Hungry Mother said...

Pretty amazing stuff. I thought I was watching "Lost" for a minute. I think we're almost to the despotic side of the scale and one more "emergency" might push us all the way.

OMYWORD! said...

I loved the sliding scale graphic.

You're right about "one more emergency." Just like 9/11 was a convenient excuse for Cheney and the neocons to put their long-ago-written Middle East domination plan into action, a new disaster might be the perfect excuse to push the US into martial law and give the preznit total control. I wonder if he'll abolish Congress and just become a dictator?