Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Iraq Veterans Encouraging Soldiers Not To Fight

Back in May, I published a post where I wondered why all the soldiers in Iraq just didn't go AWOL. I had been wondering that for some time, and still think about it today. I mean, what would happen if, one morning in the Green Zone, every soldier refused to get out of bed?

Nobody can shoot them or eat them, allegedly. They would be prosecuted and probably do time. I understand they could lose their benefits and that this could have a major impact on their families, so I'm not making light of such a difficult decision. It could mess up their lives for quite a while, but at least they would stay alive. I mean, if every single one of them, or even a majority of them refused to go out there and fight, the military would be in a big pickle.

So it was with some interest that I read this article on CommonDreams:

"Members of a leading Iraq war veterans’ organization voted this weekend to launch a campaign encouraging U.S. troops to refuse to fight."
Well now. That's more like it. Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) are doing much more than that. They are getting very creative. I loved this one:

In September, the organization plans to launch a “truth in recruiting” campaign. The campaign will include antiwar outreach into high schools and community colleges, protests at recruiting stations, and efforts to “make friends with a recruiter,” whereby a person who is not interested in military service contacts a recruiter in order to waste his time and prevent him from encouraging others to join the ranks.

1 comments:

Jayne said...

Just stopped by to say I love the blog! Great work!