Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Bush's Latest Libby Lagniappe

From Answers.com:

Lagniappe derives from New World Spanish la ñapa, “the gift,” and ultimately from Quechua yapay, “to give more.” ... It is still used in the Gulf states, especially southern Louisiana, to denote a little bonus that a friendly shopkeeper might add to a purchase. By extension, it may mean “an extra or unexpected gift or benefit.”

So I admit I was looking for an "L" word to make a fun little title for my post. I've decided I need to have much more fun with all this politics stuff. Otherwise, I'll be apoplectic and dead soon and then who wouldn't be reading my blog? huh? Most of the country, that's who.

So you might think that Bush has given Scooter Libby a little "gift." But what I really think is that this Latest Libby Lagniappe is Bush's gift to himself and particularly to Cheney, who threw ol' Scooty under the bus. Scooter obstructed justice to protect Cheney. Fitzgerald knew this, and referred to it in his statements as a cloud over the White House. I don't think that Fitzgerald is finished investigating this, it was just the only thing he could prosecute so far. (Am I in La-La land about this? Hoping that Fitz is still on the case? I hope not.) Anyway, I agree with Joe Wilson, that Bush's action constitutes obstruction of justice (via ABC news):

In commuting part of Libby's sentence, Wilson says, President Bush is complicit in Libby’s crimes. "He is an accessory to the obstruction of justice in this commutation of the sentence," Wilson told ABC News. "He, himself, is now under a cloud."

So I was not surprised that this happened. It was just the timing that sort of surprised me. I figured there'd be a pardon, after Libby had served some time and before Bush left office. That's how it's usually done. But WTF do I know? (There's that anger again, tsk tsk.) And besides, should any of us be surprised anymore at what these guys do?

So I like Mark Twain's explanation of Lagniappe in his book Life on the Mississippi. It seems to fit this situation more accurately:

If the waiter in the restaurant stumbles and spills a gill of coffee down the back of your neck, he says 'For lagniappe, sah,' and gets you another cup without extra charge.

It's like Bush spilling coffee down all of our necks and saying with that little sarcastic smirk of his, "That one's on the house...sah."

Image courtesy of:

Mark Twain, 1835-1910 Life on the Mississippi. Boston: James R. Osgood and Company, 1883. Documenting the American South. Library of Southern Literature. 2004. University Library, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

0 comments: